yesIf you look in your bathroom, you surely have several products containing panthenol, dexpanthenol or provitamin B5. It is a derivative of this water-soluble vitamin. It is used in food but also in cosmetics and personal care products.
What are the properties of panthenol? Applied topically, Dexpanthenol is absorbed through the skin and converted into pantothenic acid..
It is necessary to synthesize coenzyme A and also to metabolize carbohydrates, proteins and fats.
In another article from Digital Journalist we talked about the cosmetic properties of urea, today we tell you more about panthenol, its properties and contraindications.
What is panthenol?
Panthenol is an alcohol analogue pantothenic acid derivativea component of B-complex vitamins. Dexpanthenol is the active form of panthenol which is enzymatically derivatized to form pantothenic acid or vitamin B5.
Panthenol is also known as “provitamin B5”It comes in the form of a transparent oil or a white powder. It acts as a precursor to vitamin A. When applied topically to the skin or hair. It undergoes a bioconversion which transforms it into pantothenic acid, a natural ingredient in our hair and skin.
Sometimes it may be mentioned with other nomenclatures:
- D-pantothenic alcohol
- but animated
- Alcohol analog of pantothenic acid
- Provitamin B5
Provitamin B5 is water soluble. When applied topically, D-panthenol is absorbed through the skin where it is converted into pantothenic acid. It is required to synthesize coenzyme A (CoA) and is important for synthesizing and metabolizing proteins, carbohydrates and fats.
Properties and uses of panthenol
Panthenol is a moisturizing agent for skin care, its properties have been proven in different studies. Reduces water loss and maintains skin smoothness and elasticity. Soothes irritated and sensitive skin.
Repairs and strengthens hair
Fritz Hoffmann-La Roche, the Swiss pharmacist one of the founders of Roche laboratories, carried out in the 20th century, various studies with panthenol. What he discovered is fascinating. If this substance is added to the hair, it creates a very moisturizing environment that keeps the hair longer.
When applied to the hair and reaches the hair follicle, leaving it on for a few minutes, it helps thicken the hair and reduce split ends.. Increases resistance to hair tension.
Panthenol has also been shown to work well with keratinthe protein found in our skin and nails. It is able to penetrate nails up to 0.2 mm, which is why it helps reduce dry and brittle nails.
Mild anti-inflammatory and soothing action
It has anti-inflammatory properties and can increase the sun protection factor. Synergy with zinc oxide is claimed. Improves skin repair and reduces inflammation induced by sodium lauryl sulfate.
Panthenol stimulates wound healing, stimulates the proliferation of dermal fibroblasts and can accelerate cell renewal.
Present in many creams and lotions to slow down the passage of time, panthenol helps maintain the skin’s moisture balance. Synergy with vitamin B3 is claimed. It is important for epithelial function and cellular rejuvenation, promoting normal keratinization of the skin.
Panthenol helps protect lips from drying out due to sun exposure.
Panthenol side effects and contraindications
Topically applied panthenol is safe, but according to ndrugs.com, ingesting this compound can in rare cases cause:
- Constipation or hard stools
- Stomach ache
- loss of appetite
Pregnancy, creams or shampoos with panthenol is safebut provitamin B5 intake, Like any other medicine, you should not take it during pregnancy.or except medical prescription. Pregnancy is a special situation, it modifies the woman’s metabolism when hormonal alterations occur.
It’s possible that a compound the pregnant woman is taking won’t harm her, but it’s possible that this drug could be passed to the baby, that’s why you have to be so careful during pregnancy, you can’t drink anything. ‘alcohol, or medication unless recommended.
Recommended panthenol creams on Amazon
Bepanthol protective ointment 100 g
Bepanthol® protective ointment is an external oily emulsion that forms a protective layer on the surface of the skin, protecting it against contact with irritating substances while acting as a barrier preventing water loss and providing hydration in localized areas.
• Lipid content: which forms a protective barrier that prevents dehydration and isolates irritating substances.
• Panthenol (pro-vitamin B5): which promotes the natural regeneration of the skin.
Soivre Cosmetics, Body Cream (8% Panthenol) – 250 ml.
- Indicated for the skins most exposed to irritations, which need to strengthen and rebuild the skin barrier and rehydrate the skin quickly and durably.
- Intensely repairs the skin, significantly reduces lasting dryness, relieves itchingprevents and improves irritations, erythema and bedsores.
- Indicated to apply on mucous membranes and genital areas, to protect and relieve chafing or irritation in case of urinary and/or faecal incontinence.
- dermatological and pediatric Tested on all skin types.
8% Panthenol: Regenerates and restores the skin barrier.
- Calendula extract: Anti-inflammatory properties. Relieves redness and calms.
- Dry Olive Oil: Improves skin dryness. Nourishes and hydrates.
- Hyaluronic acid: Hydration and intensive hydration.
- Allantoin: Promotes tissue healing.
- Aloe vera: Soothes and relieves dry, cracked skin.
- FREE OF ALCOHOL, CORTISONE, COLORING AGENTS, IRRITANTS, ANIMAL INGREDIENTS.
Provitamin B5 – MyCosmetik – 30 ml
Provitamin B5 is a cosmetic active ingredient that is used in the composition of skin and hair care.
- It is an active ingredient of choice for the skin thanks to its exceptional moisturizing and emollient properties. It is also a hair fortifier known for its nourishing, restorative and fortifying properties.
- For which: all hair types, in particular dry and brittle hair, all skin types, more particularly dry, irritated or damaged skin by the cold or the sun, and for chapped lips.
Dermaceutic Panthenol Ceutic – Nourishing Repairing Ointment with Panthenol, Shea Butter, Beeswax and Vitamin E – Immediate Well-Being Dry, Sensitive and Irritated Skin – 30g
Intensive moisturizer that restores skin comfort. Panthenol Ceutic is indicated for extremely sensitive skin and/or very dry, Rosacea and Eczema.
Restores the protective barrier and deeply regenerates the skin. If all moisturizers irritate you, this is your choice!
RESULTS: Soothes and deeply nourishes the skin while restoring the natural protective barrier and providing great comfort.
911 Panthenol – Body cream for burns, wounds, bruises, diaper rash, chapping 50 ml
Cream to treat minor injuries such as sunburn, dermatitis, diaper rash. D-panthenol has properties to regenerate the skin.
TattooMed After Tattoo – Tattoo aftercare for tattooed skin – 1 x 100 ml
For the treatment of newly tattooed skin during the regeneration phase from treatment days 3 to 21. The symptoms of inflammation only disappear after about two days and the regeneration phase begins.
- The new skin cell trap the color pigments of the dermis.
- The skin may become tight and itchy. Light scabs form from dry skin cells
- TattooMed After Tattoo 25ml forms a additional protective film on the skin and relieves tension and itching.
- With After Tattoo you have a moisture booster that optimally supports you in the regeneration phase and provides your skin with the nutrients it needs for healthy regeneration.
Urea + Panthenol Moisturizing Lotion – Spanish Institute – 500ML dispenser
For irresistible skin, urea, a super moisturizing ingredient, enriched with Panthenol, a vitamin that actively participates in the regeneration and formation of the skin. A union of ingredients to hydrate your skin and give it a youthful and luminous appearance.
- 5% Urea Lotion + Panthenol It is an excellent ally to be able to show a soft and young skin, a cared for and pampered skin as it deserves. Suitable for delicate and dehydrated skin, as the formula promotes the reduction of daily water loss from our skin.
Panthenol Forte 9% Body Milk 230ml + Aloe
- maximum regeneration. Long-term watering. Dermatologically tested.
- Even 40% aloe vera, extremely fast effect. Without parabens.
- body lotion extremely high 9% dexpanthenol with aloe vera and allantoin to hydrate and regenerate the skin, helping to combat the aging process of the skin.
- Regenerates, hydrates and protects the skin from sun, water or other effects. The content of the bioactive substance stimulates human skin proteins, thanks to which the skin is nourished and protected from oxidation and free radicals. Body milk especially suitable for normal to combination skin.
You might also like
How to have a luminous skin or a radiant skin?
Was the article on what is panthenol helpful to you? On Facebook you have more information about beauty and lifestyle.